23 October 2013

An Update: To the Dentist We Will Go

Over the past couple of months, I've written a bit about our issues with L's teeth -- and having to take him to the dentist. You can see those posts here and here

Here we are in October ... and still, nothing has been done. 

As of August, at his last appointment, they wanted to schedule day surgery. To go in and put crowns on 5 of his teeth to keep them from getting brittle and falling out, as well. 

2 months later, we have done everything on our side of the bargain. 

- We went ahead and made the appointment WITHOUT insurance because it was going to take a full year's worth of coverage on our insurance plan before they would pick up ANY of the cost for L's procedure. 

- We found a way to come up with the $1300 and pay IN FULL ahead of time so that they would actually MAKE THE EFFORT to schedule his appointment and get the work done. 

- And we've been working day and night to make sure L keeps anything hard out of his mouth, doesn't chew on random objects {like his spoons -- which is HARD!} and isn't eating anything TOO sugary without brushing or at least wiping down his mouth afterward. 

All of this with a strong-willed little boy under the age of two. 


So forgive me for this -- but I am *pissed*. 

I received a call two weeks ago. The woman in charge of our case was on vacation, but they wanted to find out our health insurance company, to go ahead and work on getting their approval, so they would pick up the hospital portion of the bill. The anesthesia, ER room, etc. 

And while we were on the phone, she told me that she had a tentative date ... a very FIRM tentative date ... and had already put it in the computer. 

November 22. A week before Thanksgiving ... but soon enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Cut to Monday. I get a letter in the mail from Tricare -- they have finally approved their portion, and we have a pretty big window of dates when the procedure can occur. That November date fit in that window, so I was happy and relieved. I called the dentist office to confirm that they got the letter -- and what do I find out? 

November isn't going to happen. 

Instead ... we now have to wait until December 18th. A whole MONTH later ... 


They've known about this issue since February. Waited a bit to assess the damage and hope that it didn't progress. When it did, they put forth a plan of action ... but are NOT ACTING ON IT! 

And I don't know what I can do. 

Sure I can get a refund and try to find another pediatric dentist in our area willing to do the procedure -- but I am sure that would take a few consultation visits in their office first, which would in turn cost us another pretty penny. And then -- could they even get it done sooner?! 


My heart is breaking ... L isn't in pain, and the teeth don't seem to affect his eating or his speech. But what happens if something does happen between now and December ... what if another of his teeth breaks down even more? There is one we are watching closely and are extremely concerned about. The dentist knows -- I've voiced that opinion ... but they say there is nothing they can do. 

Would they really let my 1 year lose ANOTHER tooth? A front, visable tooth, at that? And go missing two teeth until he's of the age for his permanent teeth to come in? Is THAT my only option? 

I'm at a loss right now ... And I don't even want to get started on how M is feeling about all this. Stressed doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. 

For now ... we pray. Hope and pray ... and watch ... ... ... and wait. 
The waiting part ... is the hardest


  1. :( I am appalled! How can they just let this fall to the wayside. This makes me angry. Praying that it all gets worked out!

  2. Aww. I'm so sorry about all of this! Prayers!