06 August 2014

What I've Been Reading ...



It's a miracle, of sorts -- but I've actually been able to read lately. Pick up a book, read from one cover to the next, and find myself actually enjoying it. It took me awhile to find a book that kept my attention, but lately, its been easy to find something that I get hooked on within the first few pages. Let's see what I buried my nose in during July:




1. Light on Snow by Anita Schreve:  Of all the books I read in July, this was my least favorite. I had heard great things about Schreve's writing, and was really looking forward to diving into this story. About a young girl and her father, who stumble upon an abandoned baby in the cold winter woods, the story took place over only a couple short weeks. Unfortunately, for me, there didn't seem to really be the traditional path of a story -- detail, leading/ exciting happenings, climax, and conclusion. Instead ... there was no climax. It just sort of ... sailed along. Although it was an okay story, and a quicker read, I had a hard time really relating to the character. 2.5 out of 5 stars. 

2. Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie: I had been reading a lot of memoirs and serious-ish stuff when I picked this light and easy read up. Within a few pages, I was hooked -- it is a typical beach read. A little romance. A lot of dramatics. A lot of fun. And I easily finished all 300+ pages within 2 days. The characters are fun, funny, and easy to fall in love with. The story is predictable, but good. 4 out of 5 stars. 

3. Dream New Dreams by Jai Pausch: In June I read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, so it was only fitting that I follow it up with this book by his wife/widow, Jai. From her point of view, its the story of dealing with her husband's terminal cancer, how she carried on with their children, how she coped with the stress of him working while battling his illness, and how she has moved on since his untimely passing. The story is as light as possible, while still covering such a heart-heavy topic. Well written. Easy read. Heartfelt and enjoyable, I'd recommend it for anyone -- whether you are dealing with medical stressors or not. 4 out of 5 stars. 

4. MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche: Another book I had heard a lot of good things about, I picked this book up off Amazon on a whim. I was really interested in this woman's search for a new BFF in a newer city -- especially since I could relate. She puts herself out there, exposing herself to judgement, and opening her mind up to new experiences and lots of new people. Making friends as an adult is never as easy as doing it as a young child, and this book not only shows that, but shows just how much work adults actually have to put into making lasting relationships. Funny and witty, Bertsche doesn't take herself too seriously, which makes this a fun read. 3.5 out of 5 stars. 


Clearly, non-fiction tend to be more of my favorites. What about you -- are there genres you are more drawn to? What have you been reading lately? Any recommendations for what I should read next?! 



2 comments:

  1. I really need to get back into to reading, I have a list a mile long. Maybe once all of our stuff is packed up it will give me time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished Keep Quiet by Lisa Scottoline last night. I wanted to kick a few of the characters a couple times, but it was a good read. 4 out of 5 stars. I read The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Steadman a few years ago, and seems like the basic premise might be the same as Light on Snow. I loved Oceans though and give it a solid 5 stars. The story took place over many years, and really pulled me in.

    ReplyDelete