13 November 2013

He Wants to Be A Fire Fighter


Yesterday, we had a play-date set up with our MOPS group. And let me just say, L could not have been more excited! 

Of all things that we could be doing, we were going to tour the local {volunteer} fire department! S was looking forward to it, as well ... but not like her brother. That boy lives and breathes fire trucks lately. 

As soon as we walked into the station, his eyes lit up! 




We were able to climb through three of the trucks, sit in the driver's seat, strap into the air packs, see the flashing lights and listen to the sirens. As all the other kids were running out the door to get away from the loud noise, L was the one trying to run back in to get closer! I think we might have a new trainee on our hands! 

After the kids had gotten their fill of the trucks, we went to the bay next door and were able to check out their dive gear for search and rescue. The kids thought it was pretty neat! 


The only thing they WEREN'T too sure of was the fireman who showed the kids how to get fully outfitted for a fire call -- including face mask and air pack. When he turned on the mask {and it sounded like Darth Vader} a few kids went running to moms for cover. Even moms that weren't their own! {I wound up holding someone's little boy -- he was terrified and it took a lot of convincing to get him to pull his head out of my shoulder! Poor guy!} 

The kids were great -- and we had a blast! I think the only thing missing was a fire pole! 

I know it will take a lot to out-do this in L's eyes! 

2 comments:

  1. My dad scared the crap out of me with the mask when I was a kid. I'm so glad that the play date went well, and that L had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun! I love it.

    ReplyDelete