05 November 2013

Can I Get a Mental Health Day?

What a night we had around here!! 

Going to bed, I knew my sleep wasn't going to be great. Three out of four of us in the house are dealing with sinus junk {the kids both have sinus infections and I have a sinus/head cold, myself!}. But I never imagined it would be as horrible as it was. 

L went down for bed without any issue. He woke up around 930pm, and I knew then that it was going to be a long night. So I sent myself to bed, too. 

By 1130pm, he was not having anything to do with sleep. Every time I went into his room, I would hug him, rock him, turn on his Twilight Turtle and try to lay him down. And every time, he would sit up straight and start crying for me. Of course, knowing it was because he is feeling awful and the antibiotics haven't quite kicked in yet, I'd pick him back up and repeat the cycle again. 

Finally, after almost a half hour of that, I gave up and took him out to the living room to lay on the couch with me. Maybe we could both get a little sleep that way. 

Only thing I didn't consider?! His chatty sister. 

She comes scuffling out to the living room, proclaiming, "Oooh! I want to snuggle with you guys on the couch!" So I told her okay, to just find a place and do it quietly. 

Every five minutes it was something with her -- so finally, when she told me she was cold, and said it loud enough to wake her brother up, I told her to go back to bed where it was warmer. 

I tried laying L down at that point, again ... and again ... it wasn't going to happen. So we laid on the couch and tried to fall back asleep. But you see -- having your sister stir you awake must do something to your sleep cycle, and L thought it was now time to play. At 1am! So he laid on me snuggling, talking and sticking his fingers in my mouth until I couldn't take it anymore! 

I brought him back to his crib, knowing now that there was no more problem. We rocked. Snuggled. And I laid him down. This time ... in my sleepy haze ... I said "heck with it!" and let him fuss. A few minutes here and there ... and finally, after about 10 minutes of me checking on him and hugging him each time, he stopped. 

You know what happened then?! 

I went back to the couch ... and was wide awake!! 2 am and I couldn't fall back asleep. 

It's going to be a long day today. L might have gone back to sleep in his own bed, and his sister too, but he was up every 1.5 hours after that. I was up for good, with the lights on, by 5 am. And his sister decided she was going to try and get up by 6 am to play and have a snack party. 

If you need me today, you can be sure to find me curled up on the couch under a blanket. If anyone asks, I'm not sleeping, I'm just resting my eyes! 


  1. Aww, I hope you really do get some sleep, it's not fun having a house full of sick people when you're sick too.

    Visiting today from the Bloody Mary hop.

  2. ugh. I've definitely been there (not with the additional sibling, though, so props to you for standing today). Hope you can get some shut-eye later!

  3. Aww.. Hope you guys feel better today & are able to squeeze in a nap.

  4. You deserve a break my friend!!! Hugs!