23 January 2014

Snow Day 2014











To say my kids were excited about having a little snow stick to the ground is a complete understatement, you guys! I knew they were going to be happy and want to rush out in it the minute I woke up and saw there was still some hanging around. So when they got up and saw the white stuff, it was like nothing else mattered anymore. I tried my best to make them eat breakfast before getting bundled up and heading out -- but any parent can tell you: when your kid is looking forward to something, anything you tell them will go in one ear and out the other.

The kids both ate about three bites of french toast before begging to load on the layers and head out.  Since we live in an area that doesnt usually get snow, we are lacking in winter boots, snow pants, etc. So I made sure the kids each had on two pairs of sweatpants and two pairs of socks inside their rain boots, with the pants tucked in. Warm shirts under their heavy winter jackets, and a hat and mittens. Of course, L would only let me put one mitten on, and insisted on holding the other one, exposing his little fingers to the cold. He quickly regretted that choice -- but never did let me finish dressing him.

The kids ran around the yard for a little while, and I had to keep distracting L with some fun new "game" or something just to get him to stop climbing me like a cat with claws. As soon as he saw the cold, and the snow stuck to his one mitten, he was done. He was ready to come back inside and not see that stuff again -- my poor little southern boy! S had a blast, though, and would have stayed out longer if I had let her. Finally after 20 minutes, I couldn't distract L anymore, the grass was starting to show through the trudged-in dusting, and S agreed that he cheeks were getting cold from the wind, so we packed it in. I made some hot cocoa for L and bundled S under a warm blanket on the couch, where we snuggled for the next hour just watching some cartoons together. Since we had gone outside before it was even 8am, the cartoons were just cranking up when we got back in the house, and the kids loved having a bit of early time to just relax and watching -- something we don't normally do.

Overall, it was a good snow day. So thank you, 2014, for the one snowday we will probably be graced with. We enjoyed it while it lasted ... now please, the snow is gone, take the cold temperatures and biting wind with you! We'd rather it not linger any longer!

3 comments:

  1. I wish it snowed where I live! This is one of the downsides of California weather! :)

    xo, Hima
    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture is my favorite, their faces are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! Can't believe we've had so much snow everywhere this year. I feel like it's never going to end!!!

    ReplyDelete