10 May 2010

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait!

I just got a call from Daddy.

We were hoping for a settlement from the Marine Corps, and at least a 30% disability rating from the VA, but what we got was so much better!

They have decided to medically RETIRE him! We will receive Tricare Standard for life, as well as base privileges and IDs. He will still be able to work a regular civilian job, and still qualifies for his 6-month unemployment benefits, as well. And the VA rated him as 80% disabled.

We wont be scrounging for lost pennies from the couch after all!

He has about a month and a half until he is completely out -- so we need to make the most of the time left. Hopefully he'll be able to put in for home awaiting orders soon, and come spend some more time with us before he needs to look for a job, but even if he cant, I think we'll go down and visit once or twice. See our friends one last time and all.

Finally! After two years of marriage, we'll be able to live together under the same roof! And after two years of waiting on med-boards, we have the answer to our prayers!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! 2 years is a crazy amount of time to have to wait for a med board. I have heard of it stretching out, while in the beginnings of our dealings with my husbands, but never that long. I am glad that you guys are finally getting a good outcome :)

    I am just crossing my fingers that we don't have to wait that long for his, because by that time we would be apt to just wait for his contract to end (he is out in 2012 if he were to stay). 80% is a great number esp. when you were expecting 30%, we have been told by my husbands doctors and other people that he should hopefully be looking at at least 50% for a spinal injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!!! Sorry to hear that though. I know your just happy to be onto your next chapter of your life!

    Sending prayers and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete